Tuesday 21 December 2010

Mixing it up

My first full day back in Dundee's been spent doing nothing but adding a bundle-load of old CDs onto my iTunes, which was looking a bit sorry for itself sporting a measly 700-odd songs. What caught my attention wasn't the odd song that I had forgotten about (Linkin Park - Points of Authority; Foo Fighters - Stacked Actors; and Massive Attack - Karmacoma to name a few) but more the range of genres that were coming up on shuffle. Metal, then acoustic, electro followed and so on and so forth. Most people would view this as disjointed whereas I revel in this.
"What you listening to bro?"... "ROFL, you've never heard of JLS?!"

Like everyone else, I too have a distinctive favourite band, and if you're reading this you should know who my favourite band are (MUSE) and yes, I love to hear them whenever I can; I even forgive iTunes playing several Muse songs back-to-back. After a while though, I'll get bored of the same kind of music and fancy a change. Even when going out in Glasgow, I like a change of DJ every now and again. Saturday afternoon seen me indulging in some ska music and when I - somehow - managed to shrug off the hangover to go to Cathouse, I amalgimated myself with the likes of Rammstein and... Well I can't remember the other bands that were played but I know I was probably head banging and pretending to know most of the songs played. Note that this is 24 hours after I partook in a 90's rave as part of TFI Friday (Strathclyde Union).
I bet at least one person here listens to Duran Duran in their spare time.
 I just can't imagine going through each day listening to the same type of music every day. Everyone's entitled to their own preferences and I won't judge - unless the taste in music is truly unacceptable - however, I fail to empathise with the folk that refuse to introduce even a hint of diversity to their music taste. Since I started typing this, The Specials, Daft Punk, System of a Down, Bruce Springsteen, Green Day and R.E.M have all been played. I'm not trying to say that my list of bands beats yours, but even a little bit of change can't hurt, can it?

No comments:

Post a Comment