Monday 6 December 2010

The Illusion of Perfection

For years I have firmly believed that perfection is nothing but a fanatical myth. People may say that my view on this is rather gloomy, discouraging or depressing, but none of these words define who I am. I am a realist. The connotations linked with the term 'realist' have the tendancy to be negative-minded as it suggests that if it is not possible to attain something of value, then mediocracy will suffice. Personally, I strive to get the best out of any situation, regardless of the importance of the matter but there must come a time where you cannot let yourself be misguided on the road to 'perfection'. This error can ensue mass disappointment and despair when the inevitable happens and you realise that what you seek must always be flawed in one way or another.


I was interested to see what happened if I typed 'perfection' into Google Images so that I can get an idea of what the internet declares perfect. Turns out it's a few scenic pictures and a selection of beautiful girls - ha! Someone took a picture of a girl and said she was perfect. Biggest myth of them all, no girl (or guy if you're a female reader) is perfect. I can empathise more with the picturesque backdrop ideas but there would always be a hitch to whatever scenario someone would dream of.

 Just to clarify, I DO realise that I'm being stereotypically 'realist' so far, however I believe in near-perfect situations. I will admit that my idea of something nearly perfect is the sight of the Northern Lights. Stunning, but not perfect. Note - there is a monumental difference between near-perfect and perfection.

Why am I writing about something so unorthadox and irrelevant to most - if not all - readers? Not only do I feel pity for people who delude themselves with false aspirations of something flawless, I was reminded of these views by a quote from George Orwell - who just so happens to agree with me.

" The essence of being human is one that does not seek perfection."
                                                                       George Orwell

No comments:

Post a Comment